Saturday, October 11, 2008

Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale (Beer Review)

From the label: “Horn Dog is a big, malty monster of a beer. Fortunately, its wrath is moderately hopped and tastes like licorice and chocolate. Horn is such a robust beast that we have to keep it caged and contained at the brewery for a couple months before letting it integrate with the public.” It’s got a high alcohol content of 10.2%.

This is the first time I’ve had this type of beer. From the aroma, I expected something like Samiclaus or Sam Adams Double Bock. It smelled very sweet, and I expected it to taste TOO sweet. It was sweet (I get more licorice than chocolate), but not in a way that put me off. I’m not saying I’d be able to drink more than one in a night, though. One is plenty.

As opposed to the Kerberos from last week, the alcohol in this brew is NOT subtle. It’s very prevalent on the back end. With double the alcohol content of a regular domestic brew, it’s a good drink to drink at the end of the night if you’ve only got time for one before bed. Which is what I’m going to do right now.

No comments: