Thursday, September 21, 2017

What I'm Watching in the 2017/2018 TV Season (with a LOT of asterisks)

After not doing a "What I'm Watching This Season" post for the past couple of years, I thought I'd give it another try this year. Previously, when I had cable and limitations, it was easy. I'd have a set schedule, plug in the shows I want to watch, and there you go. I could watch one show live, and depending on how long ago this was, I could record another show that aired at the same time, either on my VCR or later on my DVR.

Things have changed, though. I no longer have cable; I stream everything. This means that except for the rare occasion (HBO), I can't watch a show until the day after it airs. I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm also not limited by the constraints of a recording device. If I want to watch 10 shows that air at the same time, I can do that...because I don't watch them as they air. Because of that and with streaming and on-demand access and the standard fall-to-spring "season" gradually breaking down, it's more difficult to make a list.

So this is going to be a weird list. I'll start it off with the standard season list, go into the weird releases, then hit the random streaming stuff I want to get to. Because of the aforementioned breakdown of the conventional TV season, some of these programs have already started, or have just ended. Some won't start until sometime in 2018. Whatever. Enjoy!

Standard 2017-2018 TV Season (Thank you Wikipedia)

ABC
Modern Family
Designated Survivor
Inhumans (ComicBookMovie.com is already reporting that the show is cancelled before it even airs)
Agents of SHIELD
Splitting Up Together,
Alex, Inc.

NBC
This is Us
Blacklist
Superstore
The Good Place
Will & Grace (maybe...I gave up on this midway through the original series, not sure if I want to pick it back up)
Great News
Timeless
Rise (I like Jason Katims' previous stuff)
Reverie (I have no idea what it's about, but Sarah Shahi and Dennis Haysbert? Sold.)
Good Girls
Champions
A.P. Bio
Trial & Error

Fox
Ghosted
Family Guy
The Last Man on Earth
Bob's Burgers
Lucifer
The Gifted
The Mick
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Gotham
The Orville
The Exorcist
X-Files (I absolutely HATED the most recent season, but I like Anderson and Duchovny, so...)
New Girl

The CW
Supergirl
Flash
Legends of Tomorrow
Supernatural
Arrow
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Black Lightning
iZombie

ALL of the OTHER stuff:

AMC
The Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead
Preacher
Loaded

HBO
Ballers
Crashing
The Deuce
Divorce
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Room 104 (Very meh on this right now)
Silicon Valley
True Detective
Veep
Westworld
Sharp Objects
Barry

Syfy
Dark Matter
Wynonna Earp
Con Man

Netflix
Documentary Now!
Atypical
Gypsy
Friends from College
Narcos
Bloodline
Bojack Horseman
Arrested Development
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Sense8
Punisher
Black Mirror
Jessica Jones
Stranger Things
Santa Clarita Diet
13 Reasons Why

Hulu
Locke & Key
Welcome to Sweden
The Mindy Project
The Handmaid's Tale
Casual
The Path
Chance

Cartoon Network
Rick and Morty
Robot Chicken

FX
American Horror Story: Cult
You're the Worst
Better Things
Archer
Legion
Atlanta
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Starz
The Girlfriend Experience
American Gods
Ash vs. the Evil Dead

TBS
Angie Tribeca
The Detour
The Guest Book

Amazon
Comrade Detective
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
Catastrophe
Sneaky Pete

Spike
The Mist

Cinemax
Outcast

DirecTV
Mr. Mercedes

TV Land
Teachers
The Jim Gaffigan Show

CBS shows I'll eventually watch once they're on something other than CBS's pay-to-watch app
Big Bang Theory (I'm a season or two behind)
Star Trek Discovery
SEAL Team
Elementary
The Odd Couple

Shows I eventually want to watch but I haven't even started yet, or I started but never finished:

Carnivale
The Comeback
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The 100
Six Fee Under
Treme
Better Call Saul
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Strain
Fargo
The Americans
Broad City
Gravity Falls
Stephen Universe
Star vs. the Forces of Evil
Continuum
Mad Men
Gracepoint
Broadchurch
Portlandia
Doctor Who
Orphan Black
Mr. Robot

No comments: