Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Free Comic Book Day 2013: A Look Back



I don’t think anyone who attended Free Comic Book Day 2013 at Rick’s Comic City would say it wasn’t a success.

The kids and I got there shortly before 10 a.m., and there was already a decent line. It was chilly and rainy, but the sidewalk was covered, so that was okay. The kids got really antsy really quickly. Luckily, we didn’t have to wait long until the doors were opened and the festivities began.

First up were the free comic tables. Each attendee was able to get five comics, and if they spent $10, they could pick up five more. Here’s what we snagged:
·         Bobby
o   Spongebob Comics Freestyle Funnies
o   The Smurfs
o   Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man Flipbook
o   Kaboom Summer Blast
·         Bella
o   It’s an Ugly Doll Comic and Other Stuff
o   Disney Fairies
o   Molly Danger/Princeless
·         Parker
o   It’s an Ugly Doll Comic and Other Stuff
o   Kaboom Summer Blast
o   Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man Flipbook
·         Me
o   DH Star Wars/Captain Midnight/Avatar
o   Infinity
o   Superman Special Edition
o   Walking Dead Special
o   Absolution: The Beginning
o   The Red Ten #0
In addition to the comics, the boys and I also snagged a FCBD Heroclix Iron Man and some Iron Man 3 stickers. Also, Rick did something that was pretty damn awesome. He didn’t limit the free comic book choices to just the special FCBD releases. He had a bunch of DC New 52 and Marvel Now releases available. So I also snagged a Wolverine #1, an Iron Man #1, a Fantastic Four #1 joining cover variant, and a Cable and X-Force #1. Parker snagged a Wolverine #1 and an Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Marvel Must-Have edition. So already we’re all pretty happy.

We hopped into the main shop for a second, saw that there were some giveaways that you needed a ticket for (spend $10, get a ticket), and moved next door to the artist/$.50 comic room.

Jonathan Glapion was there, and he signed my copies of Batman #s 9 and 13. We then moved over to the reason my daughter was excited: Andy Price, artist on IDW’s My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. She had one of her comics, issue #4, signed to her. Andy was nice enough to pose for a picture with her, but she was too shy. I also had a copy of issue #4, and he signed that for me. Next, we met Tom Bancroft. I pulled out my copy of Danger Girl Special, for which he provided a pin-up, and he signed the cover. We talked about the book a bit, and I picked up a Little Mermaid sketch for Bella and a Spider-Man print for Parker. Bancroft then gave me a set of his series, Opposite Forces, and autographed the first issue. While we were talking, Parker had moved to the next table, where cartoonist Chris Schweizer was drawing him Wolverine on a blank trading card. Chris did this for free, then did a My Little Pony card for Bella and a Spider-Man card for Bobby. I picked up a copy of his FCBD offering, a Crogan Adventures story in the Rated Free for Everyone issue, and he signed that for me.

Next we all did our best to scan through the sale comics, but it was difficult to flip through comics and keep an eye on a handful of kids. Parker and I found a few things we wanted, but Bella and Bobby were more interested in the comics they already had.

We moved back into the main store since I had to get some supplies (bags, boards, long box), and while we waited in line (SOOOOO frickin’ long), I let the kids pick something out. Each chose a comic book (MLP for Bella, Adventure Time for Parker, Sonic for Bobby), but by the time we got to the register, each kid had switched the comics out for a toy (Chewbacca for Parker, Witchblade for Bella, Green Lantern ring for Bobby). As we left we hit up the ticket table. Parker got a Star Wars patch, a tote bag and a Dark Avengers hardcover collection, while I snagged an Ultimate Comics Death of Spider-Man hardcover and an Iron Man: Extremis hardcover.

This whole experience lasted only about two hours, but we were all wiped by the time we left. It was a great day that all of us enjoyed (probably me and Parker a little more than the other two), and this set the bar pretty high for next year. Rick did a great job this year, and as the only comic shop in Nashville I know of to do more than just offer some free books and a sale on merchandise, I hope this was as successful for him as it was for the fans. My only suggestion for next year would be to get in touch with a food truck or two. Nashville has a great, and I’m sure one of them would have loved to have set up (despite the rain?) near the shop.

Now that FCBD 2013 is over, it’s time to get excited about the Nashville Comic and Horror Festival this weekend!

Here are some pictures I took. Had I gone to this even by myself, I would have taken a picture of everyone that came in a costume. As it were, I'm glad I was able to get any pics at all. These kids were all over the place (thanks for the extra pair of eyes, Jonathan!). Although, had they not been there, I probably would have spent all day going through  the $.50 comics and walked out of there with an obscene amount of comics. It wouldn't have been pretty. So, thanks kids! 








No comments: