Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What You Should Have Seen #24


Horrible Bosses


There is so much to like about this movie. The performances from all the principle players are all stellar, but Charlie Day really steals the show. He’s great on “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” probably the best on the show, and with all the big names in this movie he’s probably lowest on the totem pole, but he really brings it. He and the Jasons Bateman and Sudekis are me and my friends. Thirty somethings who are pretty happy with their lives except for one small detail: their bosses are manipulative, evil dicks.

These dicks are greatly portrayed by Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, and Jennifer Aniston. Kevin and Colin are great actors. They do their dick roles justice. I don’t need to talk about them. I’d like to talk about Ms. Aniston. She gets a lot of shit thrown her way on the various blogs I read, but you know what, screw it. She’s not a great actress, but she’s not bad. She’s vanilla: plain but thoroughly enjoyable. You know what you’re going to get when you watch her.

In this movie, she’s incredibly sexy and delightfully dirty. She’s an awful, rapey dentist, but damn she looks good. She’s got a mouth on her that almost made me blush a time or two, but she’s got enough of a moral compass to keep all her goodie bits covered.

I was surprised by the number of cameos. There were quite a few actors (and an actress) who had bit parts but really stepped up and gave it their all. Julie Bowen, Ron White, Donald Sutherland, Ioan Gruffudd, Isaiah Mustafa, Wendell Pierce, and Bob Newhart. Bob fucking Newhart!

Also, the end of the movie has outtakes. I love outtakes. When a movie (or even a TV show) has a cast that is obviously having fun together, it shows in the outtakes.

So, do you like funny shit? Can you stomach crude and raunchy humor? Go watch this movie, then. I watched half of it at home via HBO On Demand, and the last half I watched online on HBOGo via U-verse. I’m going to miss HBO the most if I get rid of cable.

No comments: