Thursday, May 24, 2012

What You Should Have Read #61


Comic Book Reviews for the Week of May 23, 2012

I thought this storyline was going to have some consequences, but I was shocked that Dan Slott was able to flash fry half the world without some repercussions. That was a very ballsy cliff hanger at the end of the previous issue, but I enjoyed the way it was taken care of with this issue. The Chameleon is great, and his banter with Mysterio is refreshing. It’s nice to see the villains working together rather than bitching about everything and disrespecting the idea of teamwork. Of course, that doesn’t mean Spidey isn’t somewhat successful at picking off the lackeys before Doc Ock sends in his new big guns. I’m glad this is wrapping up with the next issue. The story is working well, but it’s starting to drag just ever so slightly. I’ve never been a huge fan of the longer storylines. Three to four issues does the job for me, especially if the powers that be are going to sub in another artist. I haven’t minded Humberto Ramos for the past couple of issues, but I’ll always prefer Stefano Caselli. There’s more of an intensity to it and a bit more realism, if something like that can be said about such a fantastical comic book.

Is it wrong that I liked it when Thori sort of saved the day by attacking Luke/Loki? He’s one of things I’ve been enjoying about Kieron Gillen’s run with the Asgardians. This has been a good crossover. You wouldn’t think that I title like The New Mutants and a title like Journey into Mystery would work well together, but they do. I didn’t like the ending of this issue, though. Gillen changed the nature of the Disir. They went from being evil creatures to nothing but a group of tragic, horny women. I don’t want to feel sorry for them. I liked them when they were evil Asgardian cannibal women (dibs on the movie title!). I hope this story ends satisfactorily next week.

And that’s it for my new comics. I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man #s 155 and 157 for myself and a random pack of comics for the kiddos that included an issue of Futurama, Tiny Titans, Marvel Adventures: Fantastic Four, X-Men: First Class and X-Men/Power Pack. I also finally broke down and got a hold box at my LCS (Rick’s Comic City in Nashville). I’m surprised it took me this long.




My anticipated titles for next week are:

Batman Annual #1
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #39
New Mutants #43
Wolverine & the X-Men #11

That’s a totally respectable week of purchases.

No comments: