Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What You Should Have Heard #90


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

So I finally got a Smart Phone a couple of months ago. I've now got a Spotify account with more than 10,000 songs in various playlists, so I guess I'm done with CDs. I'm going to see this through to the end, though. Well, through Yellowcard, at least. I got a bunch of miscellaneous CDs that contain a bunch of bands with a song or two by each.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, and then I’m going to go into the various compilations I made of bands that didn’t have enough songs to include in a whole CD.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                               

Weezer Mix CD
Disc 1

  1. American Gigolo – Maladroit
  2. Dope Nose – Maladroit
  3. Keep Fishin’ – Maladroit
  4. Slob – Maladroit
  5. Living Without You – Maladroit
  6. No Other One – Pinkerton
  7. Why Bother? – Pinkerton
  8. Across the Sea – Pinkerton
  9. The Good Life – Pinkerton
  10. El Scorcho – Pinkerton
  11. Pink Triangle – Pinkerton
  12. Falling for You – Pinkerton
  13. My Name Is Jonas – Weezer (Blue Album)
  14. No One Else – Weezer (Blue Album)
  15. The World Has Turned and Left Me Here – Weezer (Blue Album)
  16. Buddy Holly – Weezer (Blue Album)
  17. Undone (The Sweater Song) – Weezer (Blue Album)
  18. Surf Wax America – Weezer (Blue Album)
  19. Say It Ain’t So – Weezer (Blue Album)
  20. In the Garage – Weezer (Blue Album)
  21. Holiday – Weezer (Blue Album)
  22. Susanne – Weezer (Blue Album)
  23. My Evaline – Weezer (Blue Album)

Disc 2

  1. Sugar Booger – Island in the Sun
  2. Brightening Day (My Best Friends Are Gone) – Island in the Sun
  3. Oh Lisa – Island in the Sun
  4. Always – Island in the Sun
  5. Beverly Hills – Make Believe
  6. Perfect Situation – Make Believe
  7. Peace – Make Believe
  8. My Best Friends – Make Believe
  9. Don’t Let Go – Weezer (Green Album)
  10. Photograph – Weezer (Green Album)
  11. Hash Pipe – Weezer (Green Album)
  12. Island in the Sun – Weezer (Green Album)
  13. Crab – Weezer (Green Album)
  14. Knock-Down Drag-Out – Weezer (Green Album)
  15. Smile – Weezer (Green Album)
  16. Glorious Day – Weezer (Green Album)
  17. Troublemaker – Weezer (Red Album)
  18. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived – Weezer (Red Album)
  19. Pork and Beans – Weezer (Red Album)

A few notes on Weezer:

  • I’m a fair-weather fan of Weezer. I loved the blue album. Past that, everything’s hit or miss. Pinkerton and the green album were good with a number of catchy songs, but they just didn’t capture the awesomeness of their debut.
  • I saw these guys live in ’97 or ’98. 1997, I think. They were touring with No Doubt, who headlined. I loved Weezer’s set and ended up retiring to the parking lot two songs into No Doubt’s set. No big story or revelation here, I just wanted to mention it. It was a very lackluster concert with an opening band that I can’t even remember.
  • Even though I’ve tended to be totally underwhelmed with the last few albums, I still get excited whenever a new album is announced. I keep hoping for, well, not another blue album, but something just as good. Hell, I’ve got enough songs on here for two discs, so I know the group has the chops.






Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas bills here and an unsure/shaky work situation. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: