Thursday, July 7, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #64


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Pearl Jam Mix CD
Disc 1

  1. Even Flow – Ten
  2. Why Go – Ten
  3. Jeremy – Ten
  4. Porch – Ten
  5. Deep – Ten
  6. Go – Vs
  7. Animal – Vs
  8. Glorified G – Vs
  9. Blood – Vs
  10. Rearviewmirror – Vs
  11. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town – Vs
  12. Leash – Vs
  13. Footsteps – Lost Dogs: Rarities and B-Sides
  14. Dirty Frank – Lost Dogs: Rarities and B-Sides
  15. Yellow Ledbetter – Lost Dogs: Rarities and B-Sides
  16. Breath – Singles Soundtrack
  17. State of Love and Trust – Singles Soundtrack

Disc 2

  1. Last Exit – Vitalogy
  2. Spin the Black Circle – Vitalogy
  3. Not for You – Vitalogy
  4. Tremor Christ – Vitalogy
  5. Whipping – Vitalogy
  6. Corduroy – Vitalogy
  7. Satan’s Bed – Vitalogy
  8. Immortality – Vitalogy
  9. I Got Id – Merkinball
  10. Hail Hail – No Code
  11. Who You Are – No Code
  12. In My Tree – No Code
  13. Smile – No Code
  14. Habit – No Code
  15. Red Mosquito – No Code
  16. The Fixer – Backspacer
  17. Amongst the Waves – Backspacer

A few notes on Pearl Jam:
  • I was WAAAAY more into Pearl Jam’s style of grunge at the time than Nirvana’s. It’s amazing how tastes change after time. I’d probably say I’m more of a fan of Nirvana’s sound now than Pearl Jam’s, at least up to a point.
  • With their first four albums, I liked each one more than the last. I loved No Code in college and had it in heavy rotation in my car. The way it’s settled, though, I’d have to say that Vitalogy is my favorite PJ album. I consider it more of a hard rock album with a hint of a grunge sound, and with No Code, they just got mellow.
  • Other than liking a song here or there, PJ just didn’t do it for me anymore after No Code. I still thought they were good musicians, I just didn’t like the type of music they were putting out. They had evolved into something I didn’t listen to anymore.
  • Y’know what made me actually pay attention to Pearl Jam? Saturday Night Live. I was watching it with a bunch of friends in high school and they were the musical guest. The second song they did was “Not for You” from Vitalogy, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t out yet. Fell in love with the song, got Ten and Vs., and was given Vitalogy (which was packaged awesomely) by my parents. The CD didn’t come with a lyrics sheet, so I would play the disc over and over again and write down the lyrics so I could sing along. Loved it. I looked for that SNL performance but could only find this rehearsal. One thing that’s different between the rehearsal and the actual performance is a slight change in the lyrics. During the performance, I distinctly remember Vedder singing, “Small my table, seats just two (me and Beth).” Is it weird that I’ve only seen that performance once and I can still remember something so small?


No comments: