Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #61

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Ok Go Mix CD

  1. We Dug a Hole – Brown EP
  2. It’s Tough to Have a Crush – Brown EP
  3. This Too Shall Pass – Of the Blue Colour of the Sky
  4. Invincible – Oh No
  5. Do What You Want – Oh No
  6. Here It Goes Again – Oh No
  7. A Good Idea at the Time – Oh No
  8. It’s a Disaster – Oh No
  9. A Million Ways – Oh No
  10. Crash the Party – Oh No
  11. The House Wins – Oh No
  12. Get Over It – Ok Go
  13. Don’t Ask Me – Ok Go
  14. You’re So Damn Hot – Ok Go
  15. What to Do – Ok Go
  16. Return – Ok Go
  17. The Fix is In – Ok Go
  18. Hello, My Treacherous Friends – Ok Go
  19. Bye Bye Baby – Ok Go

A few notes on Ok Go:
  • While I have the same number of songs from their first two CDs, I actually REALLY like the first one, and then the next two go downhill from there. I really don’t know if I would have included “This Too Will Pass” had the video, both of them, been so awesome.
  • ‘Cause really, ALL of their videos are awesome, and I think that’s what they’re best known for now instead of their music. Well-choreographed videos, Rube Goldberg videos, all done impressively in one take.
  • I think what I really liked about Ok Go as opposed to Oh No is the quirkiness of the first CD. Sometimes you need a quirky song rather than one with a deeper meaning.
  • And I had to include all of their awesome videos as well as a couple for songs I just like. I even included videos for songs I didn’t include on the mix. They’re just that good.
  • When I finally finish my comic book and it’s optioned for a big-budget movie, “Invincible” will be on the soundtrack.



OK Go - This Too Shall Pass from OK Go on Vimeo.


OK Go - WTF? from OK Go on Vimeo.


OK Go - Here It Goes Again from OK Go on Vimeo.


OK Go - A Million Ways from OK Go on Vimeo.


OK Go - Invincible from OK Go on Vimeo.


OK Go - Get Over It from OK Go on Vimeo.


No comments: