Monday, May 9, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #24


Mother’s Day Brunch

Yay, I’m back to blogging! Did you miss me? I know you did.


I hope that my first meal posting after the hiatus isn’t too disappointing. My kids wanted to do breakfast for their mom for Mother’s Day this year, but since that wasn’t an option, we did breakfast for dinner instead. They made the menu, I did the cooking.


I had originally planned on using a pancake mix from a box, but I didn’t have enough, so I decided to make it from scratch. Had a bit of a hiccup early on. I wanted to double the recipe, but forgot all about that after doubling the flour…and only the flour. When I added the egg/milk mixture, I ended up with a nice lump a dough and realized what I had done. It was a simple fix, though.


The big thing for me during this meal was the bacon. We usually have a quick breakfast for dinner during the week: scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, toast and some fruit. Since I was able to take my time with this dinner, I wanted to do something special with the bacon. First off, I wanted to use REAL bacon and not the turkey imposter that I normally use. I was going to fry it up on the stove (I usually use the microwave since it’s quicker and easier to clean up), but, after seeing the gang over at Epic Meal Time cook all of their bacon in the oven, I wanted to do it that way. And seriously, if you haven’t seen any of EMT’s videos, PLEASE click on the link. These guys are my new heroes.


I found a simple recipe on the Internet which consisted of lining a cookie sheet, putting the bacon on it, then cooking it at 400-degrees for 20 minutes. I had only a flat cookie sheet, so I used a broiler pan. I then doctored the bacon up with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, then I drizzled some maple syrup on it. I ended up cooking the bacon for at least a half an hour, but it never got crispy and I was getting impatient, so I ended up putting it in the microwave for a few minutes. Worked out just fine. I wonder, though, why I had such a difficult time in the oven? Was the pan too thick, or did I add too much stuff to it? Eh, it still tasted incredible, and I had a couple pieces left that I’m going to put on some burgers I have left over from Saturday.


So the meal consisted of pancakes, bacon, sausage and fruit salad with a red velvet cake for dessert. My kids come up with some pretty good ideas for dinner every now and then.



 

No comments: