Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #18


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name


Beatles Mix CD

  1. Mean Mister Mustard – Abbey Road
  2. Polythene Pam – Abbey Road
  3. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window – Abbey Road
  4. Golden Slumbers – Abbey Road
  5. Carry that Weight – Abbey Road
  6. The End – Abbey Road
  7. Her Majesty – Abbey Road
  8. Yesterday – Help
  9. I’ve Got a Feeling – Let It Be
  10. Magical Mystery Tour – Magical Mystery Tour
  11. I Am the Walrus – Magical Mystery Tour
  12. Taxman – Revolver
  13. Got to Get You into My Life – Revolver
  14. I’m Looking Through You – Rubber Soul
  15. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  16. With a Little Help from My Friends – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  17. A Day in the Life – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  18. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill – The Beatles [White Album]
  19. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – The Beatles [White Album]
  20. Happiness is a Warm Gun – The Beatles [White Album]
  21. Rocky Raccoon – The Beatles [White Album]
  22. Mother Nature’s Son – The Beatles [White Album]
  23. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey – The Beatles [White Album]
  24. Long, Long, Long – The Beatles [White Album]
  25. Revolution 1 – The Beatles [White Album]

I can chart a good chunk of my listening taste evolution by genre. After graduating from my Sesame Street and Muppet records (yup, I started out with records), I went on to pop. 96 WSTO out of Evansville was my station of choice. It was mid-to-late ‘80s and I was listening to Huey Lewis (AND the News), Bon Jovi and Prince. And then it happened. Then, I saw Wayne’s World (8th grade for those of you keeping score). Actually, I got the Wayne’s World soundtrack.

Boasting such awesome (he says sarcastically) groups as Cinderella, Bulletboys, Gary Wright, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Sabbath, Tia Carrere, Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Rhino Bucket and Eric Clapton (okay, after typing those out, I had forgotten about some of the actually decent performers and songs on here). What did it for me, though, was the inclusion of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. I was convinced that this was a new song, tried to argue with my dad about it, and then he showed me the record that he had. So I started listening to that. Then I went through his collection and discovered more Queen, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, and finally, the Beatles.

I put his copy of the White Album into HEAVY rotation. That, Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour. THOSE are my Beatles. I appreciate the early stuff, the less-weird stuff, but I don’t like it as much. That’s why this mix feels like my own rather than just a rehash of a Greatest Hits CD.


Here are the first 10 minutes of the Anthology. When this first aired, I was on a cruise with the family. Dad recorded it and we watched it when we got home. Music was probably the first thing we really bonded over, the Beatles central to that. I think I need to rewatch this.

No comments: