Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #9


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name

311 Mix CD

01 – Creatures (For a While) – Evolver
02 – Don’t Tread on Me – Don’t Tread on Me
03 – Down – 311
04 – Transistor – Transistor
05 – Come Original – Soundsystem
06 – Lucky – Grassroots
07 – Prisoner – Transistor
08 – Random – 311
09 – Thank Your Lucky Stars – Don’t Tread on Me
10 – Large in the Margin – Soundsystem
11 – You Wouldn’t Believe – From Chaos
12 – Flowing – Soundsystem
13 – All Mixed Up – 311
14 – Beautiful Disaster – Transistor
15 – Misdirected Hostility – 311
16 – My Stoney Baby – Music
17 – Getting Through to Her – Don’t Tread on Me
18 – Loco – 311
19 – Amber – From Chaos
20 – Feels So Good – Music
21 – Do You Right – Music
22 – Don’t Stay Home – 311
23 – I’ll Be Here Awhile – From Chaos
24 – Love Song – 50 First Dates Soundtrack

I had an a cappella version of Sublime’s “What I Got” that I downloaded sometime in college (10+ years ago) that was apparently mislabeled as being performed by 311. After much online research, I’m pretty sure it’s actually by The Academical Village People, an a cappella group at the University of Virginia. It’s from their 1998 album Calabash.

The CD that really rocketed them to mass popularity was the one that got me into them: their self-titled 1995 release. At the time, I wasn't hearing anything like its mix of rock, rap, and funk. I quickly devoured their earlier releases Music and Grassroots, but quickly grew tired of them. It all sounded the same. I was introduced to this group who sounded so different from other groups out there, only to find out that they never really changed. I was very impressed, though, with 1997's Transistor. While still very much a 311 album, it was more, for lack of a better term, trippy. It was all about space and energy and had somewhat of a New Agey feel. I'd have to say that it's my favorite 311 disc. Angie and I went to one of their shows at Starwood in September of that year, and it was a great show.

I don't listen to them much anymore, because again, it's all sounding the same, but sometimes I'll get a craving for them.

311's official page can be found here, and their Allmusic entry is here. Their official site has a decent amount of b-sides, remixes and unreleased songs. It's one of the better band sites I've run across in terms of current band information, history, and music downloads.

If I were able to, I'd post a couple songs from my collection that I really enjoy, but alas, I don't think I can with this type of blog. If I can and just don't know how, someone please let me know. I'd love to share some of this music that I enjoy so much.

So until that’s figured out, how about a video? Here’s Creature (For A While).

No comments: