Thursday, April 1, 2010

What You Should Have Seen #9



“Hi, my name is Cormac McCarthy and I wrote a Pulitzer Prize winning book about a man and his son out for a leisurely stroll in a post-apocalyptic future.”

“Hi, I’m Joe Penhall and I adapted McCarthy’s award-winning book into a screenplay. It's awesome.”

“Hello there, I’m John Hillcoat and I’m making this screenplay adapted from a book into a movie. I've directed a couple of movies, but I've done more music videos.”

“’Sup. We’re Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron and Garret Dillahunt, and we’re all in this movie.”

Those are all the people involved in this movie who apparently do all they can to depress you and make you contemplate the futileness of life. This movie is utterly depressing and, even at the end, offers no hope for an eventual happy ending. There’s no closure. There’s not even an explanation on why the world is like it is.

Now, the acting is great, and the movie is well shot and directed. For all intents and purposes this is a really good movie. But it’s so damn depressing that I couldn’t focus on anything else.

The trailer I'm including is extremely misleading. There's very little action, most of which is nothing but running away from people who might eat you (not zombies, just regular apocalypse survivors).

Unless you’re okay with depressing movies, don’t watch this unless you’ve got a palate cleansing comedy on hand to watch afterwards. At least that’s what I’m doing.

No comments: