Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #6



So there was the chance of me going to a Motion City Soundtrack concert, and I wanted to check out the other bands that would be opening up for them. The person I would be going with was a fan of fun., so I got their CD, Aim and Ignite.

If first impressions are worth anything, then this CD has one of the best opening tracks I’ve ever heard. It immediately hooks you. I love the strings and the somewhat unusual arrangement. It reminds me at times of something you’d hear in a musical.

The problem with having such a awesome opening song is that the rest of the CD can seem a bit lackluster. The rest of the CD is good, don’t get me wrong, but nothing really grabs you like that first track.

One thing I noticed in the first track and kind of ignored was singer Nate Ruess’s vocal similarity to Mika. But the more I listened, the more the similarity became apparent. That’s not a bad thing. I like Mika. And fun. is a lot less pop and a bit more indie rock with enough pop to make it catchy.

I haven’t had a lot of time to listen to this CD, but it’s definitely something I’ll have in my regular rotation. Thanks, Christy, for turning me onto this group.


No comments: