Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner

From the label:
"Yes, we’re a little obsessed with hops. Every autumn for over 20 years, I have traveled to one of the oldest hop-growing regions of the world, the Hallertau region of Bavaria in Germany, to hand-select the prized Noble Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops.

We are celebrating these extraordinary hops with our Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. This one-of-a-kind brew uses enormous, almost reckless, quantities of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops, which give the beer an unmatched flavor dimension and complexity."

Okay, let’s go with first impressions. This beer has a good head on it, a head that clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma is nothing special. It’s very subtle, but nice. Floral tones slightly masked by, well, a beer smell. The color is a light, murky amber, but it’s not off-putting.

Oh, holy moley, the label wasn’t lying when it said it used an enormous amount of hops. This is one of the bitterest beers I have ever tasted. But the experience is short-lived. It kicks you in the mouth up front, but leaves a pleasant yet very faint aftertaste.

I can’t say this is an overall GOOD beer, but I’m glad I tried it. At least I can say I did. It’s just too damn bitter for me. But if that’s your thing, then this is your beer.

----------------
Listening to: The Fratellis - Babydoll
via FoxyTunes

No comments: