Monday, December 1, 2008

The Nines (Movie Review)

I’ve been a Ryan Reynolds fan since Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place. I liked him in Van Wilder, The Amityville Horror, Blade Trinity, Waiting, Smokin’ Aces and Chaos Theory. He can be very funny, very creepy, or somewhat serious, and it’s because of him that I’m even watching this movie.

At first you might think it’s a comedy. We meet Reynolds’ character as he’s self-destructing following (what I’m assuming is) a pretty bad break up. The introduction is actually pretty funny, what with the lighter fluid, the crack cocaine, the portly hooker, and the lack of a belly button. And even when he’s put under house arrest (in a house that isn’t his own due to the results of the aforementioned lighter fluid), we’ve still got some funny in store.

But then it gets weird. His agent’s representative and his next door neighbor kick off the weirdness, which culminates in him breaking his house arrest and possibly destroying the world. But it’s okay, because we’re back, but all the cast members are different. Is it some vast multi-personality thing? A dream? Did J.J. Abrams write this?

By the end of the movie I more or less understood what was going on...I think. But I don’t really think I enjoyed it. Everybody that walked in front of the camera performed wonderfully. Great acting all around. But the story was just too weird, and that’s saying a LOT if it’s coming out of my mouth (or my fingers in this case). If you’re a Ryan Reynolds fan and have to watch everything he’s done, then I guess you’ve got to see this, but otherwise I’d pass.

----------------
Listening to: Ambulance LTD - Stay Tuned
via FoxyTunes

No comments: