Thursday, September 4, 2008

With apologies to Matt Mahaffey


Allow me to re-introduce myself, my name is Hov--, sorry, sometimes I forget I'm not Jay-Z. An easy enough mistake that I'm sure is made by many people.

So...why blog? Why the hell not? Everyone else is, so why can't I. The main purpose of this thing is to reignite my creative fires, stoke the smoldering embers of my mind into a towering inferno so I can burn a swath through creative projects that have seemingly burned themselves out. Okay, prolonged metaphors aren't my thing, but I hope you get the idea.

I tend to lose focus pretty easily, and I'm hoping I can regain what I've lost. I've got one comic book, two novels and a screenplay floating around, and I'd like to eventually finish them.

So what will this blog contain? Mostly reviews. I read comic books...lots of them. Those will be the majority of the reviews. Coming in a close second will be TV show reviews. The amount of TV I watch, well, it's just embarrassing. Take this season, for example. Once we're fully into it, I'll be watching 13 shows on Monday nights alone. Thank you Jebus for DVR, OnDemand, and networks putting their shows online. I might also throw in the occasional CD, movie and book review. I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods right now, and it's excellent.

So assuming I can keep up with this, what can you expect in the near future? How about reviews of the season premiers of The Shield, Bones, Prison Break, and a few others. This week sees the release of Green Lantern #34, Amazing Spider-Man #570, Dark Tower: Treachery #1, The Stand: Captain Trips #1 and Angel: After the Fall #12, just to name a few.

Assuming he's willing, I'm also going to bug a friend into doing "guest" reviews of movies and CDs I normally wouldn't pick up.

So we'll see how this goes. And who knows, I may give up after this initial post. I'm crazy like that!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Awesome!!! I can't wait to read your review of American Gods - I read it last year and really liked it.

TiVo, my friend.

Rob Rosenblatt said...

I'm not near as quick a reader as you, nor as eloquent a reviewer. My reviews may all end up as "Me likey" or "Me no likey."

Kate said...

Here's a secret...that's what I feel like most of the time. I just dress it up with pretty words.

Thea said...

Fun sounding blog! American Gods is one of my faves.

Oh, and I will be one of those camped outside my local comics store waiting for Captain Trips and Treachery at midnight.

Rob Rosenblatt said...

Thea! Glad to have you aboard! I'm a little more than halfway through American Gods, and it's great. I was a little skeptical after being vastly underwhelmed by Smoke and Mirrors, his short story collection.
But my fears were proven to be unfounded within the first few pages of AG.

I've wanted to adapt King's work for comic books for almost two decades, but I was somewhere around 12 years old at the time. They couldn't have gotten a better writer than Peter David for the Dark Tower books. I know next to nothing about Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who is writing The Stand, but I'll be there for the first issue (which apparently DIDN'T come out this week).