Monday, September 8, 2008

Weezer - The Red Album

A quick note on my CD ratings:

Worth It – Buy it and keep it
Sorta Worth It – Worth your money, but don’t feel bad about burning your favorite tracks and getting rid of it at a used CD store
Not Worth It – Don’t even bother downloading


Not Worth It

Weezer no longer excites me. They haven’t for a while now. I loved their first few albums, but now I’m just, “Meh.” The only track I really enjoyed was Troublemaker. I feel I should have enjoyed Pork and Beans and Everybody Get Dangerous more, but they just didn’t click for me. Ultimately, the entire album didn’t click for me. It’s like the group tried too much stuff and there wasn’t anything to really tie it all together. They couldn’t decide if they were pop or rock, and when they tried to be one or the other, it all just ended up sounding fake, like they’re trying to hard. I never felt that with any of their earlier stuff, but lately, that seems to be all I hear. And everything I said about the album as a whole can be applied to The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn). There was so much thrown into this one song (pretty piano tones under some bad rapping that moves into hard guitar, then we get a little bit of a ballad before a chorus sings above a snare marching rhythm. We get some more rock before turning a little poppy, and then the spoken word section. As individual parts, I can enjoy it, but I think the overall effect is so much less than the sum of its parts.

----------------
Listening to: Weezer - Everybody Get Dangerous
via FoxyTunes

No comments: