Thursday, September 25, 2008

TV Reviews for the Week of Sept. 21, 2008 Pt. 1


Alrighty, so now that we’ve got Sarah’s competition out of the way, she can start puttin’ the moves on her ex and we can all feel uncomfortable by it. And here’s something I’ve never understood. Terminators have targeting programs, right? If so, then why are they such bad shots? If I’m betting between a robot with a gun vs. a fleeing victim, I’m putting my money on the robot every time. All in all I thought this was a decent episode. I thought Sarah was an idiot for actually going after the ex’s wife and leaving John with only Cameron to protect him, but, hey, you’ve got to make sacrifices if you want to stay on the air an entire season.



Last season’s finale was, well, a little improbable to me. But who cares, it was still good. This season’s premiere continued the level of humor that I grew accustomed to last year, and I actually understood Penny’s insecurity, if not her attraction to Leonard. The ending, though, that was perfect. As much as I don’t buy it, I’ll watch the fun missteps that will most assuredly accompany this type of relationship. Last year I enjoyed the show because it was new and it was funny and I’m a bit of a nerd myself. I hope this year it doesn’t seem stale.



I had apparently forgotten a couple of items from last season’s finale, like Barney’s accident and Ted’s engagement. I eventually remembered Barney’s accident, but I still don’t remember Ted proposing to Stella. Oh well, it happened, I’m over it. This was only a decent episode, which hurt a bit. I expected more from the season premiere of this excellent sitcom. I know it’s basically his show, but I’m sick of Ted and all of his relationship quirks. I love Star Wars, too. I can recite bits and pieces. I know the difference between an AT-AT Walker and an AT-ST Walker. I know the words to the Ewok song at the end of Jedi. But my wife doesn’t care so much for the movie. BFD. I can understand that being a deal-breaker for a true Star Wars obsessee, one who dresses up for movie premieres and conventions and who names his kids after obscure characters. But Ted is a relatively normal guy. No way is that a deal breaker. Now Marshall, he’s the goofy guy. He’s out of work, and he was meddling in Ted and Stella’s business. That I buy. It worked. And I like the Barney/Robin development. It works for me. It’s nice to see him show actual interest in a woman, yet remain himself. And he went to Lily for help, someone he connected to a couple of seasons ago when she stayed at his apartment for a bit. So let’s dial down the Ted neuroses for a bit. Everyone watches for Barney anyways. He’s so awesome, he takes over his best friend’s show.



Standard episode. Very decent, just nothing special. Mahoney is closer to tracking down his son’s killer. Lincoln now knows about Michael’s nose bleeds, and apparently they aren’t a new occurrence. The group even ropes in Agent Self to aid and abet them. The info from another card was obtained, and Sarah and Michael share another tender moment. My favorite subplot at the moment is definitely T-Bag faking his way to a payoff…and his hot secretary.



Okay, the reveal of Nathan’s killer right off the bat was an excellent way to start, and the culprit was no one that I had even suspected. I’m amazed with how much happened in this season premiere. I expected questions to be raised, but I also didn’t expect so many answers. We found out Nathan’s killer and Peter’s switcheroo, and we learn where Peter got his first extra ability (at the same time he learns a fundamental law of time travel that every comic book reader already knows). We also learn where he sent Peter and Matt. Nathan gets a new lease on life, and we learn who brought him back. Hiro heads to the future and watches the smoke monster from Lost destroy Tokyo. Suresh, instead of finding a cure for the powers finds a way to give them to everyone, then uses himself as a guinea pig. I thought the effect of Hiro seeing the female Flash’s speed trail was awesome. This show really can put a comic book on the small screen. Is Nathan being set up as a Christ figure, or does he have ulterior motives? It was interesting to see exactly how Sylar takes someone’s powers. We’ve seen him cut open someone’s head, we’ve just never seen what happens after that. And then he let Claire live. So much to take in…and then we get another episode! In this episode, through a dream by Peter and Nathan’s mom, we learn who (we assume) the villains are. It was good to see Elle and Bob again. I didn’t recognize Bruce Boxleitner in the first episode. I haven’t seen him since Babylon 5, and it was good to see him here. We also saw the Greatest American Hero being not so great and not so much of a hero. I’m wondering if Linderman is actually there. We didn’t hear him come in when Nikki/Tracy was talking with Nathan in his hotel room, he was just sort of there. Is he in Nathan’s mind (there is a precedent for it), or am I looking at things that aren’t really there. And what’s up with Tracy? Is she another personality? Multiple personalities all with different powers (a la the Doom Patrol’s Crazy Jane) is always interesting. And holy crap, I was really hoping that Sylar would cut a swath through Level 5. Having him virtually unbeatable again would be neat, but I guess that’s been done before. And of course Suresh’s plan backfired. Good things don’t just happen, not without a price. Oh, and then there’s the little reveal at the end. Hot damn. These were two great episodes. They’ve raised an extremely high bar for the rest of the season, a bar I have no doubt will be reached each week. I’ve got to wonder, though. Shows like this are not without twists. Will the villains of this second episode end up being the villains by the end of the season? At least the main characters. The guys who escaped from Level 5 sure do seem be definitions of the word villain.




It seems as if a snafu in DVR scheduling has denied me from watching the season premiere. I had anticipated watching the episodes on cbs.com, but it’s one of the only shows that they don’t have on there. I’m okay with missing it, though. It’s funny, but it’s always the same two or three jokes over and over again. I think I can miss it this year.




I thought I was going to run into the same problem I had with 2 ½ Men, but I found out that it’s on OnDemand, so we’re all good. My first impressions are that Mel is hot and Redd Foreman is always great (even in Robocop). I want him to put his foot in someone’s ass. That’ll be awesome. Okay, the whole guy-showing-up-in-a-makeshift-diaper thing they were using as a commercial was humorous, but the way he got that way was pretty darn funny. Actually, this whole episode was pretty darn funny. I think I’m going to enjoy this show. CBS has really stepped up with some great sitcoms.




I think this show is funny, but I’ve never seen an episode that has really jumped out at me. I was actually getting a little put off by all the preaching it did last year. I’m all for causes, but it seemed like they were for ALL causes. And then this season’s premiere starts right off taking on Big Tobacco. There were some smile-inducing scenes, but nothing that made me laugh. It was too serious and too maudlin. If this were my first episode, it would be my last. I started watching it because it was humorous. I’ll continue watching it because I’m hoping it’ll find that again.




So, there’s more to our Dawson’s Creek reject than just a brilliant mind. He’s being followed, and he might also be a badass. Hmmm. These episodes are somewhat deceptive. They can be watched as a done-in-one episode, where you don’t need to know much (if any) of the overall story. But they’ll throw you a Maximum Dynamics bone somewhere in the middle, and then end in a big way, tying it all together. So far I’m liking this more than I liked Lost. It may be a fallacy in my thought process, but it seems like we’re actually getting somewhere, when, as I look back, we really aren’t. It’s like the first few seasons of Alias, which were great.




Oh, they’re setting stuff of for some SHIT to go down this season. I guess they’re going go out with a bang. Vic’s double crossings are starting to backfire as the Armenians want a truce and the Mexicans want to kill them all. And Vic might have a bit of a mole problem.




All of the Law & Order shows tend to blend together to me. But I still watch them. There can be a bit of overacting, but I usually never consider any of the episodes a waste of time. Guest stars in this episode were Luke Perry and Julie Bowen. I can do without Perry, but I’ve liked Bowen in anything I’ve seen her in. Otherwise I’ve got nothing amazing to say about it. It was decent, but I’ll forget the major details tomorrow.

No comments: