Monday, September 29, 2008

Jem: Down to Earth (CD Review)

Worth It

We’ve got an odd thing going on here. I like the CD. I really do. But it’s not something that I’d listen to over and over or randomly throw in the CD player. It’s too mellow for that. I’ve either got to be in the right frame of mind, or I’ve got to be working. I don’t mean this as a slight against Jem or her music, because I am saying that the disc is worth dropping some dollars on, but for me it’s perfect background music. You might get the occasional upbeat song like Aciid (she sings in Japanese! And when she is singing in English, she sounds an awful lot like Nelly Furtado in Promiscuous Girl), her voice is just so soothing that it doesn’t make you feel anything other than calm. And even after a few spins, none of the songs jump out at me as immediately memorable (except for Aciid, and only for the Japanese bits). Yet even after what would appear to be bashing, I’d still recommend the CD. Go figure.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Dumb, dumb question, but does she/it/they have any tie-ins with the cartoon from when I was a kid? Dumb, I know.

Rob Rosenblatt said...

Not that I'm aware of. Her name is Jemma.

Now, if she starts wearing sparkly star earrings and her hair becomes big and pink, then I think the makers of the cartoon would have a reasonable lawsuit on their hands.

Anonymous said...

You lost soo many cool points when you corrected me about Barbie Rockstar actually being Gem. I know you were already like 25 back then, but I lost a lot of respect for you....

Rob Rosenblatt said...

I wallow in my geekiness. And to prove it, I'll correct your spelling. It's Jem, not Gem.